Phrozn is static site generator written in PHP.
The idea is very simple:
You write text files in your favorite format (Textile, Markdown, Twig, Haml etc), in your favorite environment (Vim, Vim, or Vim etc), spice them with styles (again, in format of your choice - CSS, LESS, or SASS), feed all this to Phrozn, and it will create static HTML site ready to be published.
To get you up to speed Getting Started guide has been written.
- Complete: Supports input files in Twig, Textile, Markdown, and LESS format.
- Extensible: Supported text processors are not enough for you? Create your own - it is really simple!
- Easy to use: Only couple of commands to learn and you’ll be able to use Phrozn efficiently in no time.
- Modern: No love for pre PHP 5.3 hosts, Phrozn requires PHP 5.3+ and relies on it heavily.
- Robust: Phrozn is strictly tested. Check code coverage and see for yourself!
- Solid Foundation: Whenever possible wheel reinvention was avoided. Phrozn uses code from well-written and well-known projects including PEAR, Zend Framework 2, Symfony 2, Twig, Pirum.
For those who are new to static site generators, here is why you may want to use them:
- Fast: Static HTML pages load blazingly fast.
- Safe: Static pages are inherently safe. No code executed server-side.
- Trivial Deployment: No need to worry about server-side configuration - any web-server will do.
- Version Control: Since input pages are simple text files, you can version them, and re-generate whole site from any point in the past.
- Format Agnostic: Enter text in your favorite format, in your favorite text editor.
Ok, then again why Phrozn?
- Written in PHP, extensible in PHP.
- Exemplar of PHP 5.3 code.
- Designed with extensibility in mind.
Phrozn is not the only generator in the block, but definitely the best one written in PHP :)
Seriously, Phrozn was created because I couldn’t find any decent static site generator in PHP. There are plenty of them written in Python and Ruby though, and I reviewed their source code when implementing Phrozn.
So, on the shoulders of giants we stand:
- Jekyll - Well known generator used by such services as GitHub.
- Hyde - Python port of Jekyll generator.
- Bonsai - Very simplistic but still extremely useful little script.
- Webgen - Quite sophisticated generator.
- Cyrax - Generator based on Jinja2 templates.
Generated on 11 Apr, 2011 at 03:49 using Phrozn 0.1.35.
Tiens je me disais justement qu’il n’existait pas encore dans la sphère PHP de générateurs de sites statiques tels qu’on en trouve pour Python ou Ruby. Et bien c’est chose faite avec Phrozn !
NB : dans la liste en fin d’article des projets qui ont pu inspirer Phrozn, je rajouterai bien staticmatic : http://staticmatic.rubyforge.org/